Are you in SL for the money? ...or the fun of it?

"One thing I think that frustrates more of the smart people I know than anything else is how many of them are not making very much money, while much less smart people are safely in well paying jobs. I meet many of these people in blogging and in Second Life. The news, I think, is that things aren't going to get any better..."
This brings me to something I've been seeing and thinking about with regard to 'business' in Second Life - and tends to explain the shrill, frantic thrash-backs from residents in the Second Life blog:

Are you in SL to try to make real money?
That is to say, you develop, create, provide a service - whatever it is, you use it to earn Linden Dollars (L$) - but then actually cash some of that out and use it in real life, or (shockingly) rely on some of that?

I make good L$ in SL. But, I'm not crazy enough to even think about cashing any of it out and then rely on any part of it. I have a 'regular day job' and it feeds me, clothes me and keeps a roof over my head. I also have a freelance business that I use (read: not rely on) for some extra cash.

At first, it was my freelance videography and photography business that provided me the discretionary funding for my SL experience. However, I now use SL business to pay for... SL.

In other words, I take all the money I make in SL and I will convert it back to good old United States legal tender. But that's it. It sits there in the pot. Then, whenever the Lindenonians decide to reach into my pocket, they take whatever it is they want from the pot.

You see, that pot is the cash they owe me. So, they must pay me what they owe me before they can actually take any money from me. They simply deduct what I owe them from the credit they owe me. If I keep that credit floating higher than what i might ever owe Linden Lab - Second Life pays for itself.

As for those who earn enough to actually cash-out, (that is, to call Linden Lab on their credit and have a check sent,) well - that's all well and good. I hope it's also a 'freelance' business. What you can file with the Internal Revenue Service (in the United States, anyway) as a "Professional Hobby."

However, if you actually rely on some or (Heaven forbid) all of that money, you're better-off dumping SL and doing something in real life. You see, the dynamic is really very simple, and it shows why this 'business model' can be far more volatile than even the stock markets:

As an employee of someone, you earn a regular wage. you can budget your living and other costs off the security. Even if it's 100% commission - you have complete control in all aspects of it. The same is true if you are running a business in real life.

No middle men to muck things up for you.


Now, if your business model relies on Linden Lab, you'd better be setting some cold hard cash aside for when that falls through. You are relying on an unknown entity. You are relying on Linden Lab for your livlihood and Linden lab doesn't care about you. And neither should they.

You are simply a customer subscribing to a service. Their only requirement in this relationship is to provide you access. Stop. Done.

Hence, if permissions go awry, if someone finds a way to rip (steal) your creations and sell them, if the service goes bad (asset servers and database issues) - if anything happens that kills sales or otherwise loses you money (L$) - it doesn't matter.

LL's sole responsibility is to provide you with access.

I may be wrong, but I am totally unaware of any statement in writing or orally where LL has promised to ensure you are able to make any money at all. And, I have yet to see any promise to ever convert L$ into legal tender of any kind. The only thing they owe you is that credit. Other that, whatever means you use to earn that credit is totally volatile because there is no promise whatsoever that those means will continue the way they work now, or even at all.

So, I'm curious... if you make real money in SL - do you rely on it for anything? Or is it simple discretionary spending cash?

Even more curious: do you feel entitled to earning real cash from within Second Life?
Frankly, if you do, then I must admit I think you need to reevaluate your first life fast and hard.

Blogged with the Flock Browser


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous Monday, April 7, 2008 at 10:58:00 AM PDT

    i do agree with your points and only have one contention. working for a real job also does not offer greater assurance than does making a living out of second life.

    a real job has no greater guarantee to me that it will be around, keep me, or look out for me any more than any other freelance work.

    so, as with any endeavor, don't place all of your proverbial eggs in one basket.

    thank you for the well-focused discussion of this point. i do agree with you on it :)

     
  2. Dale Innis Monday, April 7, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM PDT

    Definitely simple discretionary spending cash, for spending inworld (mostly on tips an' clothes). Even though I know it's convertible into RL money, I think of inworld money more as I dunno maybe 'points' that are for using inworld. Like WoW honor points maybe. :)

    Do I feel *entitled* to earn money? Heavens no!

    On the other hand I have great respect for people who want to earn RL-significant amounts of money inworld, and who sometimes even succeed in doing so.

    They are entitled, at any rate, to be paid when they provide a product or service that the recipient has contracted, implicitly or explicitly, to pay for. And that's about the extent of entitlement as far as I can think of at the moment...

     
  3. Parrot Media Group Monday, April 7, 2008 at 3:32:00 PM PDT

    As a content provider, yes, I think it is more then fair we earn money with the work we put in Second Life. We, the content providers, are also providing a service, just like Linden Labs does. And for RL business and jobs, you never know when your boss decides to sell you out do you;-)

    Amiryu Hosoi,

    [url=http://secondlife.com/app/search/search.php?cof=FORID%3A11&q=hosoi+ichiba&s=All&sa=Search+The+SL]Click here for Second Life Search[/url]

    [url=http://slexchange.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&SearchKeyword=hosoi_ichiba]Click for matching products on SLX[/url]

    [url=http://hosoi-ichiba.blogspot.com/]Click here for Hosoi Ichiba. Blogspot[/url]

    [url=http://slurl.com/secondlife/Virgin%20Island/91/175/30/]SLUrl Hosoi Ichiba, Japanese Gardens & Lifestyle[/url]

    * Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

     
  4. Anonymous Monday, April 7, 2008 at 4:56:00 PM PDT

    I cash out of SL just to buy geek toys... a new lappy, a copy of CS3, a digital mixer/recorder that I covet...

    But I have long said that my choice of trade, animating, will be eaten alive by mocap before long, so make hay while the sun shines!

     
  5. Ari Blackthorne™ Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 10:45:00 AM PDT

    @iliveisl

    I concur, you don't have as much control as an employed wage-earner than you would running your own business. However, you do have far more control that you get when dealing with any third-party whose only concern is that they get paid for simply allowing you access.

    @Dale
    Yes, I agree, that's how I use my earnings in SL. I don't plan to try repeating Anshe Chung's plan. I'm quite content that my sim pays for itself and the products I sell earn me enough fun-money to spend... inside SL.

    @Amiryu
    I do agree with you. You should earn that money. and if you earn enough to turn it into real cash - awesome!

    My whole point here is simply this: any business is a venture (read: risk) - and thus it is the same inside Second Life.

    Nothing wrong with taking risks. Many times they pay-off, as they have for many inside SL. However, for those who are 'ridiculously' successful - they need to simply put things into perspective:

    First - the risk in SL is minimal compared to RL. Second - there is no cost of inventory. Work once, get paid forever for it. Third, it's like opening business in some third-world country.

    What prompted this posting is the constant shrill whining of people who complain about 'how much money' they 'lost' because of the grid problems recently.

    So what I am trying to say is this:

    1) You never 'lost' any money. You simply didn't earn as much. NOT the same thing.

    2) Your shrill expectations and sense of entitlement is highly misplaced, since Linden Lab promises you nothing. The *only* thing Linden Lab has ever promised (and I'm not even sure they still do) is this (and I paraphrase here): If you are denied access to the service through fault of LINDEN LAB, other than being banned or suspended, Linden Lab owes your a prorated refund of your PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP FEE.

    Since most of these people lashing out with shrill vitriol are actually non-premium members, Linden Lab owes them *nothing*.

    Understand, I am not a "fanboi" of Linden Lab. I am a premium subscriber and I also am human and recognize the Lindens are human and just trying to do their job. I also am a realist and understand what and why Linden Lab is.

    I guess that's why I find the shrill whining to be totally laughable! Now, it's okay to whine about the grid being down and unstable because it's interfering with the fun I am PAYING for (as a premium member) - but to totally bitch-out the Lindens because you lost money? That's just going too far, I believe.

    So, when Business gets rocky in the real world, you evaluate your options and pick-up and move it if too many things out of your control are working against you.

    No one is twisting these people's arms to run businesses inside Second Life.

    So, for 'fun money' or to make a little spending cash - sure, why not?

    But - to actually rely on any money you make inside SL? - I just find that to be questionable judgment, that's all.

    @Jeaniesaim
    Now THAT is a great system! A perfect way to earn that gadget money. This is how I imagine most people are using their earned Linden Dollars... if not to have SL pay for itself, then to cash out to buy discretionary things - or maybe even to help make ends meet once in awhile.

    but to RELY on it? All I ask is: think about it.

    Oh, and to qualify what I mean when I say these people didn't 'lose money'... It's money they haven't 'earned'.What I mean is that if I build a teapot and it costs me $5 to make it and I sell it for $10 - I make $5 for myself.

    In the real world, if delivery is screwed-up and the product is lost, I have to refund the customer their $10, but i have LOST $5 because the product is missing. I lose $15.

    I lose $15 every time a delivery is screwed-up. But, I can buy delivery insurance for this purpose. And the currier has promises to me and I can redeem.

    In SL - that teapot costs me NOTHING. if delivery is screwed up - I simply return the money given me - or redeliver to the customer. It costs me NOTHING to do either.

    If I return the money, it's money I haven't earned to begin with. if I redeliver the product - it costs me nothing to do so.

    So, if someone is unable to pay me for a product and the product is not delivered - I lose nothing. I haven't gained anything either, but I've lost nothing.

    Now, if the customer goes to a competitor - okay, I lost the sale - but I still haven't lost anything. I simply haven't gained what I could have.

    But, what these ranters are not thinking of is that these are not lost sales. if the grid is borked and transactions hosed, the customer can't buy ANYONE's stuff. So, it's not a sale 'lost' to a competing product. Rather, it is simply a delayed sale. Because the customer will simply return when things are working again and make the purchase later.

    As for customer complaints: I handle it in a simple manner... I remind all complainers that if they cannot act like adults and speak in a respectable, mature fashion, they will instantly be muted.

    When we are speaking in a civilized manner, I simply explain what is going on, point them to the blog and when all else fails - I redeliver what they purchased without question.

    Because customer service is far more important than being paranoid that someone is trying to rip you off by getting something for free without buying it. that's just selfish as hell of the creator. The 'entitlement' mode, where they feel the world owes them when it (or Linden lab) doesn't owe them a damned thing.

    After all, it didn't cost me anything extra to give them an extra copy of a product. Does it?

    :)

     
  6. Ari Blackthorne™ Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at 10:48:00 AM PDT

    Addendum: where I said "The *only* thing Linden Lab has ever promised (and I'm not even sure they still do) is this (and I paraphrase here): If you are denied access to the service through fault of LINDEN LAB, other than being banned or suspended, Linden Lab owes your a prorated refund of your PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP FEE."

    Should be understood - that is fault of LINDEN LAB - not anyone or anything THEY have no control over - and the denial of access MUST BE 24-HOURS or more.