The Second Life® Brand Center - about time?

inSL BannerI think it is about time.
There have been a lot inquiries to Linden Lab about getting a hold of the Second Life logo for use in or out of world. So this new logo program is a good idea and, no doubt, it wasn't invented yesterday. These things take a lot of time to prepare and build, long before such an announcement.

So, do you plan to sign-up? I do.

And yes, I stole their banner right off their page! But i have 90-days to apply and make myself legal.  >:)

Though I am still laughing really, really hard at all the childish replies on the blog post.

could also use the inSL logo in marketing materials, on your website, on your letterhead, in conference materials, in presentation slides, on promotional items, on product packaging, and in other areas where you wish to promote your contributions to the Second Life world.
Second Life | The Second Life® Brand Center

Blog post here: http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/03/24/introducing-the-second-life-brand-center/


Blogged with the Flock Browser


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Amanda Martin Monday, March 24, 2008 at 3:09:00 PM PDT

    I both complained a little and signed up, though to be honest -- I don't have much need for it.

    It's obnoxious thinking that now I have to look up the registered symbol any time I want to type the name of the client.

     
  2. Anonymous Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 4:35:00 AM PDT

    This LL's move is just a capitalistic berocratic stupidity.

     
  3. Ari Blackthorne™ Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 7:28:00 AM PDT

    Perhaps bureaucratic stupidity. But then that also makes practically every company with a registered brand and logo a bureaucratic stupidity.

    I myself am a bureaucratic stupidity because if you use my own RL company logo in any way (other than fair use) - I will press my rights against you. I have to do that to keep the mark mine and not allow it to fall into the public domain.

    All companies that rely on a logo of any kind do this. It's not just a right, but, believe it or not, a -rquirement- that they defend the marks, else it falls into public domain.

    Speaking of which - this is simply a required step in the process of preparing to go public.

    The difference here is this:
    1) We all are very close to Linden Lab. It's like "hey wait a minute - we're family! Why are you cutting us out of the will?!?"

    2) They are about four-and-a-half years late on it. This is something they should have done the very first time they saw their logo or any facsimile of it being used outside their corporate intent.